Dr. Steve Lempke is serving as the interim director of the Baptist Center for Theology and Ministry at New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary. Under his leadership, the Center has recently started a blog related to issues impacting Baptist theology and ministry, called "The Baptist Blog." He is enlisting guest hosts to answer 10 questions. He was gracious enough to ask me to participate. The questions are:
1. What do you see as the greatest strength of the Southern Baptist Convention right now?
2. What do you see as the greatest weakness or problem in the Southern Baptist Convention right now?
3. What do you think is the greatest threat or challenge to the Southern Baptist Convention right now?
4. What do you believe is the great opportunity for the Southern Baptist Convention right now?
5. Some have suggested that the Southern Baptist Convention is likely to decline in the near future. What is your assessment of the future of the Southern Baptist Convention?
6. What would you say to a young (or old) pastor who is considering leaving the SBC? Why should they stay a Southern Baptist?
7. The resurgence of Calvinism in the SBC has been a controversial issue in some ways. What is your perspective on the resurgence of Calvinism in the SBC?
8. The issue of elder rule has been controversial in many churches. What is your perspective on ruling elders as an expression of Baptist church polity and ecclesiology?
9. What is your perspective on the emergent church movement?
10. What would you say is the most significant theological issue confronting Southern Baptists in this generation?
You may read my answers here.